Followers

Wednesday 26 October 2011

When Did You Feel Comfortable In Your Own Skin?


Bit of a random title I know, the reason for it? It’s a result of the talk that Gillian Anderson did (have a look at the ‘An Evening With Gillian Anderson’ post). Basically, the final question of the night was ‘When did you / do you feel comfortable in your own skin?’

This got me to thinking, what would my answer be if I was asked that question?

Well, as a result I’ve decided to pen (or more accurately, type) a bit of a personal blog post, so here goes...

What you may not know (or believe) it that I’m naturally quite shy (no really its true!). Yes, I know it may seem odd that someone that swans around at events dressed up and posing for pictures could be shy but it’s true.

I’ve found there are two versions of me; there is me and the event attending me... When I’m at events I take on a lot of the characteristics and mannerisms of who I’m dressed as, either 10 or Benedick. Both characters are very outgoing, chatty and funny. I find this is a great benefit when wandering around at events; it lets me chat to people and come across as really confident.

By contrast the ‘normal’ me is much more reserved. I tend to find when not in character I’m much more quiet and am quite happy sat chatting in a small group and try to avoid crowds if possible as I just don’t feel comfortable in them.

So back to the question of being comfortable in your own skin, I wouldn’t say that I am, however I don’t think anybody ever is? Let’s face it, would any of us look in a mirror and think yep, I’m fully 100% happy and wouldn’t change a thing.

However I wouldn’t say that I’m not comfortable in my own skin either, there are things I’d like to improve, but I wouldn’t say that I’m uncomfortable with how I’ve turned out or who I am.

Bit of a copout answer that really isn’t it...

Attempt 2... I’m comfortable with who I am now at this point in my life, I’m still young (well, not as young as I used to be but hey) and have a lot still to look forward to. There are parts of me that I’d like to improve (nobody’s perfect, especially me!) but that’ll come with time.


I think that’s the joy of life really, it’s all about the living. It doesn’t really matter what you do in life as long as you enjoy it.

One thing I will say though is if you're not happy with who you are, do something about it. Don't moan and whine to anyone willing to listen, instead take control, decide what you want to do or achieve and then make it happen, only you have the power to change who you are.

To quote Shakespeare:

All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players

No comments:

Post a Comment