Followers

Saturday 8 September 2012

Lords of Time - To Benedick Or Not To Benedick...

David Tennant as a guest at a convention, that’s a no brainer I hear you say! Well, yes normally it would be, but with me flying back from 5 days at Dragon*Con only a couple of days before hand I wasn’t overly sure what sort of state I was going to be in...

So, I arrived back in the UK on Tuesday morning with only about 30% of my voice and not feeling anywhere near 100%... by Friday I was feeling more with it and could actually maintain a conversation without my voice failing, as such Friday lunchtime I decided, why not, may as well go to Lords of Time, hey it’d be rude not too...

Getting to the Hilton around 7pm Liz and I picked up tickets on the door. What did surprise me was what number tickets we ended up with, I was Gold 54 (out of a max of 150) I had a feeling this could be a very quiet event...


Having settled in and looking more like the version of me that everyone knows (when I arrived I was unshaven, wearing work gear and sporting very fluffy hair...) it was time to give the party a look. I’ve never been a great party fan so soon called it a night and hung out in the bar instead.

It was in the bar I bumped into the admin team from the DT Forum, some of which I’d met previously at EMS last year, so with that my evening was sorted, gossiping and drinking tea. Tea would be a theme of the weekend but that’s a story for later...

Having stayed up a little late on Friday night I was a bit groggy on Saturday morning, luckily Saturday was quite a quiet day as DT wasn’t going to be there until the Sunday.

The main guest on the Saturday was Frazer Hines who was on good form as always, he was especially funny during his guest talk where he regaled the delighted audience with comedy stories from his time working with Pat Troughton. Frazer does a great talk, if you get chance to listen to him I’d highly recommend it. 

When I'm older I'll be River Song...
In addition to Frazer, the Saturday also included Nina Toussaint-White (Mels), Mark Benton (Clive Finch, from Rose in 2005), Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler), none of whom I'd met before so it was good to chat to them all as well as get their autograph and a picture with them.

As part of the conversations during Saturday the question of what to wear while meeting DT was raised. If you’ve read my EMS blog you’ll know that I normally agonise over this question, this time I’d decided to meet him dressed as the Doc, well, that was until the DT Forum threw me a curve ball and pitched the idea of ‘Party Benedick’...

Could I really meet DT while wearing a mini skirt? Well, I’d met him covered in paint so what the hell...

With an additional photo shoot ticket picked up I was fully prepared for the Sunday, all that was left to do was pick up the Party Benedick kit, nothing like a quick 5hr drive...

No comments:

Post a Comment